Tuesday 3 December 2013

Travel - Elephant Trek, I did it again.

In 2011, I did an elephant trek in Phuket. I remembered clearly the feeling I had when I finished the trek and I made a decision not to do elephant trek ever again. It was not a pleasant feeling, I just felt that this shouldn't be what elephants do? I couldn't really explain that feeling. Just felt sad. 

Anyway, when I knew the itinerary for this trip included this activity, I really dreaded the day but I knew I did not really have a choice.

And so, the day came.

However, things were slightly different this time round? There were many thoughts running through my mind after some explanation by the guide.

Before I explain further, perhaps some pictures? =p



Feeding of elephants.


The start of performance.


They were trained to draw, yes this elephant painted that. (Tell your friend beside you, if the elephant can draw, so can you. Quick, say it!)

After performance was an oxcart ride before we went back to the base by elephant trek.


Snippet of the trek


And so the elephant trek ended.

Here are some of my thoughts after some "enlightenment" by the guide.

Elephants were roaming freely in Chiangmai long time ago and were destroying the crops because they eat a lot. Therefore to improve the situation, they were gathered in Elephant camps where they were trained to perform and do the "trek" for tourists in order to generate income to feed themselves, so in a way, they earned their own living. 

Well, this was what the guide told us and to me, it made some sense. Perhaps it is an excuse to make myself feel better but still it has its points. 

There was a reflection done at the end of the day and I shared what was the question I had in mind, my question was "How did the elephant feel?" I knew this question cannot be answered unless I have some super power or something, but one thing I learned from this experience was that.... isn't it good to earn your own living? 

Different people live their lives differently, they have their own ways of earning a living. If that was the way of survival, so be it unless someone else can provide a better option if not so be it. 

Well, it is just some thoughts I have in my mind. =)

Let me end this entry with an awesome view when I did the oxcart ride. hee


Purposeful Traveller - Make the best out of every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment