Wednesday 9 July 2014

Travel - What's SSEAYP (See-yap)?

SSEAYP stands for Ship for South-east Asian and Japanese Youth Programme.

I was first introduced to SSEAYP by W when we were having a conversation at Doi Suthep, Chiangmai. I noted SSEAYP down and checked out about SSEAYP when I was back in Singapore, however registration was not opened then. It then slipped off my mind until I was in the midst of planning my various travel trips in May and I chanced upon that memo note which I wrote "SSEAYP"

I was so so so close to application deadline and the toughest part of the application was to have a referral letter by someone of social authority (????) who can write in reference to my character and ability to work as a team. The first and only person I can think of is W, and she was so kind to write a don't-choose-me-also-cannot kind of referral letter and gave it to me within 2 days!!! She was the God sent angel.

I received notification of the interview when I was in Turkey! The interview/selection is from 9-5pm with team building activities, group interview and group discussion on a cultural performance which we need to put up at the end of the day. Seriously. -_- I felt like a student, no joke.

I attended the one and only selection when I was back from my travel, the date of selection was perfect (because SSEAYP selection date cannot be changed, if you cannot make it, you are out. -_-)


Team building activities which made me perspire like crazy!


My KIWI team during the selection!

After a week of the selection, a few of my team mates already received notification of being selected! After refreshing my email like every second for entire week. I thought I was most probably out of this and so I worked on my NZ trip and decided to bring it closer to November instead.

And guess what....?


I AM IN.

Dilemma.

I received the email notification TODAY and I literally could not focus at work because my friend has just gotten her air ticket to NZ to join me for a holiday, I felt so so bad that she has to cancel the ticket. T.T

So, what's SSEAYP all about??? 

In short, it will involve about 50 days of sailing on Nippon Maru with youths all over ASEAN countries for cultural exchange and I will share more when I experience more. 

As of now, I know the sailing should start in Japan, then to Brunei, then Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia and back to Japan. 

 Wish me good luck.


Credit: http://sseaypsg.tumblr.com/

This opportunity came by because of prayers, help and sacrifices of many people. I am thankful to be selected and given the opportunity to go. 

Purposeful Traveller - Let the sailing begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment